Thursday, December 20, 2012

Interview with costume maker Wilma

I had an interview with very talented costume maker Wilma. Here is the result:


What is your name and how old are you?
My name is Wilma Vermeulen.....my age has been 35 years for almost a decennia now ;-)

When did you start making your own costumes and why?
9 years ago I started again with my hobbies sewing and crafting. Before this I was spending a lot of time with my other hobby, twirling.
At first I made something original from old or purchased clothes by just decorating them. Then I started with making gothic and historical dresses.
My first big fantasy costume I made in September 2008 for the Elf Fantasy Fair in April 2009. I wanted to create something unique.
I like fantasy very much, because there are no boundaries to your imagination. I can use more techniques than just sewing.

What inspires your costumes and how long does it take for you to create them?
I've got a lot of inspiration from the internet, movies, games, history, fantasy artists, designers and my own twisted mind. You can always see my darkside in my costumes. They are not sweet.
I've a job and a household. So you know how it works....in the evening hours, weekends and holidays.
But my first two costumes took me 6 months. My last two costumes 3 months.  I'm become faster and more experienced. But every time there is something what I've never done....so I learn from every progress.

Which costume are you most proud of and why?
Wow, that's a difficult question, because I like them all very much. They have their own story what makes them special to me. When I'm in progress of making a costume, I'm growing in the costume and the story.
With three of four custumes I won the costume contest at the Elf Fantasy Fair. That was "The end of the time elf" 2009, "The dragon warrior" 2010 and "The protector of the tombs"2012. So it will be these 3 then.

Do you ever not make a costume for a fair/party you attend?
I do not make a new costume for every event. I try to make one big costume for the Elf Fantasy Fair and a historical dress a year. Because it's a lot of work and it becomes very expensive when I make more costumes.
I wear my costumes and dresses more than one time at several events and parties. For example Wave Gothic treffen, Gala Nocturna and as a walking act for some events.

Is there anything else you would like our readers to know about you or your costumes?
I don't know what more I can tell about my costumes. Only that I like it a lot to make and wear them. And I have a something strange with wings.

Here are some pictures of Wilma and her gorgeous costumes:
Picture made by Henk van Rijssen

Picture made by Henk van Rijssen

Picture made by Marc Loos

 Picture made by Tatsu

Thank you Wilma for this wonderful interview.





No comments:

Post a Comment